Nov 11, 2009

A Chance to Run a Farm in Ireland

This is a great chance of a new life in Ireland for anyone with a bit of farming experience. A chanve to take over the running of 55 acre farm. It is located in the Comeragh Knockmeal Mountains on the border of Waterford and Tipperary.
No upfront costs . Accommodation included- 4 bedroomed cottage. Initially for a period of 5 years. The owner just wants a percentage of the profit from the anaerobic digester. (No figures mentioned)

The successful applicant(s) will have the use of the farm for an agreed period of time (say 5yrs to start with), in return for giving the owner a percentage of the earnings of the business, and caring about the place. This would leave them a good income from the digester and plenty of opportunities to make money from the farm too as there are other enterprises on it that can earn an income too.
See A new Life in The Country

Oct 22, 2009

Moving to Galway Ireland

An American girl who has just moved to Galway is having a good time here - in her blog her latest post sstarts off "For some reason, Ireland is like a whole different place this time around. I think it must have something to do with the fact that I know I won't be forced to leave, and can therefore get a bit more settled. In any case, things just seem to be more sunny all around"

Read more about the girl moving to Ireland for a boy from Scotland

Oct 15, 2009

Work Permits Not Required

Who does not need an employment permit? to work in Ireland

You do not need an employment permit in order to work legally in Ireland if you are in one of the following categories:

Citizens of the EEA member states (other than Romania and Bulgaria) and Switzerland, and their spouses and dependants (regardless of their nationality).
People who have been granted refugee status in Ireland.
People who have been refused refugee status but have been given leave to remain on humanitarian grounds.
People who have been given leave to remain because they are the spouse or parent of an Irish citizen.
Postgraduate students where the work is an integral part of the course of study being undertaken.
From 12 October 2007 non-EEA nationals carrying out scientific research for an approved research organisation


If you are from a country whose nationals normally require an employment permit and you are studying in Ireland on an approved course, you may take up casual work – a maximum of 20 hours a week in term time and full time during the holidays – without an employment permit. An approved course is one of at least one year’s duration leading to a qualification recognised by the Department of Education and Science. (Towards 2016 includes a commitment that the employment of non-EEA students should be the subject of an employment permit application but this has not yet been implemented.)

Working holiday visas

Working holiday visas may be issued to nationals of Canada Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Argentina and Hong Kong as part of a reciprocal agreement between these countries and Ireland. From 6 June 2006 if you are on a working holiday visa you can no longer transfer over to a work permit.

Winter Fuel Allowance Ireland

A Fuel Allowance is a payment under the National Fuel Scheme to help with the cost of heating your home. It is paid to people who are dependant on long-term social welfare or Health Service Executive (HSE) payments and who are unable to provide for their own heating needs.
The scheme operates for 32 weeks from the end of September to May.
Only one payment is paid to a household. Th erate is €20 a week

If you are in receipt of any of these :
* Invalidity Pension * Pre-Retirement Pension * Disability Allowance
* Incapacity Supplement Widow's or Widower's (Contributory) Pension
# Widow's (Non-Contributory) Pension
# Deserted Wife's Benefit or Allowance
# State Pension (Contributory or Non-Contributory)
# State Pension (Transition)
# Blind Pension
# Prisoners Wife's Allowance
# One-Parent Family Payment

You may qualify for a fuel allowance

Social Welfare Services Office
Government Buildings
Ballinalee Road

Tel:(043) 334 0000 Locall: 1890 92 77 70

Sep 1, 2009

Doing a PhD in Ireland

Another American who was planning on going to Ireland to do a PhD - but eventually decided to stay on in the US to do it there instead.

It was a hard decision - but as the writer says
"I don’t doubt my decision in even the slightest degree, but I have begun to scheme about getting back there next year, and wishing I could go tomorrow. Just for a week or two. Or three"

Maybe she will be back for good one day?
Good luck to her in whatever she decides to do.

Dreaming of Moving to Ireland

This girl in America is dreaming of moving to Ireland -

She says "My dream is to have a little cottage tucked away in the rolling hills of Galway. With nothing but cattle and sheep to keep me company. Sure, it seems like a lonely existance, but I rather enjoy working of the land, and who know when a cute farmer guy will make his way to my sheep, and stare deep into my eyes."

Maybe one day?

Apr 19, 2009

Bringing a car into Ireland

If you bring a car or any vehicle into Ireland from another country - abroad, you must show proof of ownership of the vehicle. You will need the vehicle registration document or evidence of car insurance. You must also have a Certificate of Permanent Export (or a vehicle registration document as we mention above).

You must register your car and pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) by the end of the next working day following its arrival into Ireland. You must bring it to a Revenue Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) not later than the next working day following its arrival in Ireland - . You pay the VRT charged after your vehicle has been inspected at the VRO.

Once the vehicle has been registered by the Revenue Commissioners and the VRT paid, you (or your motor dealer) will receive:

  • A receipt for the VRT paid showing the registration number assigned to your car
  • A Form RF 100 for use when you are applying for motor tax

You must display the registration number within 3 days. Failure to display the new registration number is an offence and you can be fined You can obtain vehicle registration plates from any motor dealer. .


If you are importing a new car from another EU country you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. A new car means a car that has been in service for 6 months or less, or has been driven for 6,000 kilometres or less. The VAT is payable even where you have paid VAT in the other country.

Apr 16, 2009

Work Permit Restrictions in Ireland June 2009

A number of changes to the qualifying conditions for work permits for new entrants to Ireland come into effect from 1 June 2009:

  • More job categories will be ineligible for new work permits (work riders, domestic workers and HGV drivers now ineligible)
  • No new permits will be issued for low-paid jobs, that is, jobs paying less than €30,000 per year
  • The labour market needs test will be strengthened by doubling the time a job vacancy has to be advertised with EURES/FAS to 8 weeks, and extending the time for the national press advertisement to six days
  • Higher fees will be charged on renewal of work permits, and renewals will require a labour market needs test
  • Spouses and dependants of future principal work permit holders will have to apply for permits in their own right subject to the standard eligibility criteria and fees for work permits

In addition, a number of occupations are being removed with immediate effect from the Green Card eligible list where the salary payable for the job is in the range €30,000-€59,999 per annum. These jobs are :

Healthcare: Registered midwives; physiotherapists; psychologists; social workers; medical physicists; and speech and language therapists.

Financial Services: Economists; statisticians; underwriters; claims assessors and analysts; securities specialists; fund and investment management specialists; common law jurisdiction lawyers; investment fund professionals; fund accountants; fund valuations professionals; fund administrators; custody specialists; transfer agents; and hedge fund specialists.

Industry/Services: Marketing Managers.

NCT Penalty Points Panic in Ireland

THE SURPRISE introduction of new penalty point offences in Ireland for motorists has thrown the National Car Test (NCT) system into chaos.

Hundreds of worried motorists attempted to contact the NCT centre in Tallaght yesterday after Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey announced over the weekend that failing to keep your NCT up to date would incur penalty points from next month. It was already a fineable offence nefore now - so why the panic. In the UK they have a database that tells them all the cars without an MOT cert - it is all computerised. Here in Ireland we rely on a random spot check to spot all these dangerous cars on the road. Are the Guards blind or lazy? I see lots of cars each week with one headlight or one brake light. Why are they not stopped?

More than 835,000 cars were tested for roadworthiness in 43 NCT test centres across the country last year.Just over half (52pc) passed the National Car Test (NCT) on the first attempt. The pass rate has remained around the 50pc mark since 2004.

Another 385,000 had to repeat the test, with a repeat pass rate of 91pc. Failures can be appealed.

Cars four years or older are subject to the test, which was introduced in 2000. Cars must pass every two years after the initial test. Vintage cars over 30 years and cars based on the islands are exempt.

While most motorists are informed when their test is due, it is up to the owner of the vehicle to ensure that their car has a valid NCT. Drivers without an NCT certificate face a €1,500 fine, but, until now, have not incurred penalty points.

Spanish company Applus+ will take over testing from next January after winning a 10-year contract from the Road Safety Authority (RSA) earlier this year. The test fee of €50 and retest fee of €28 will stay the same until at least 2011.

A review of the NCT is also being carried out by the RSA, which could see customised cars with blacked-out windows and loud exhausts automatically failing the test.

Feb 26, 2009

On The One Road

Chris and Kelly have a great blog with loads of pictures. They moved to Ireland and look like they are enjoying living here.
See On The Road

Feb 17, 2009

Moving from Australia to Ireland

Another blogger - Trish - who is planning to move to Ireland with her husband PJ in 2009.
Read all abou it here
Best of Luck you two ----

Feb 16, 2009

Making the Move to Ireland is a blog which I hope is updated. The blogger is moving to Ireland today (well getting a flight from Chicago) . They have no plans. no job, nowhere to live - it could make interesting reading if they can manage to keep us updated on progress.
Good Luck whoever you are!

Feb 3, 2009

Yank in Dublin

Another blog from someone who has moved to Ireland (maybe temporarily) This Yank in Dublin is studying for a Masters and writes about some of her experiences in Ireland