Oct 15, 2009

Work Permits Not Required

Who does not need an employment permit? to work in Ireland

You do not need an employment permit in order to work legally in Ireland if you are in one of the following categories:

Citizens of the EEA member states (other than Romania and Bulgaria) and Switzerland, and their spouses and dependants (regardless of their nationality).
People who have been granted refugee status in Ireland.
People who have been refused refugee status but have been given leave to remain on humanitarian grounds.
People who have been given leave to remain because they are the spouse or parent of an Irish citizen.
Postgraduate students where the work is an integral part of the course of study being undertaken.
From 12 October 2007 non-EEA nationals carrying out scientific research for an approved research organisation


If you are from a country whose nationals normally require an employment permit and you are studying in Ireland on an approved course, you may take up casual work – a maximum of 20 hours a week in term time and full time during the holidays – without an employment permit. An approved course is one of at least one year’s duration leading to a qualification recognised by the Department of Education and Science. (Towards 2016 includes a commitment that the employment of non-EEA students should be the subject of an employment permit application but this has not yet been implemented.)

Working holiday visas

Working holiday visas may be issued to nationals of Canada Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Argentina and Hong Kong as part of a reciprocal agreement between these countries and Ireland. From 6 June 2006 if you are on a working holiday visa you can no longer transfer over to a work permit.

No comments: