May 2, 2011

Americans - Working Vacation in Ireland

Ireland has an agreement with the US Government that will enables US citizens to work and travel in Ireland   for up to 12 months. T
In order to qualify for the programme participants should be either in post-secondary education or have recently graduated (ie within the last 12 months).
This new programme is separate to the  Student Work and Travel programme which permits students from the US and Ireland to work and travel for several months every summer. This J1 programme will continue to exist as a separate, more limited programme.


American  citizens wishing to travel to Ireland under the terms of the agreement should make an application for a US Working Holiday Authorisation at the Irish Embassy  in Washington or the Consulates General of Ireland in Boston, Chicago, New York or  San Francisco.
See  here  for contact details.
A completed and signed application form (PDF 35kb)  should be presented at the Embassy of Ireland in Washington, or at the Irish Consulates General in Boston, Chicago, New York or San Francisco together with:
  • Valid United States passport;
  • 2 recent identical passport photographs with your name on the reverse;
  • Current curriculum vitae (with references);
  • Original bank statement showing that you have access to €1,500 (or equivalent) plus a return ticket; or €3,000 (or equivalent);
  • Originals of any qualifications obtained or letter from school/college/university (where applicable)
  • The relevant fee of €250 or dollar equivalent as advised by the relevant Mission;
. The Working Holiday Authorisation will be issued on submission by the applicant of:
  • Return airline tickets;
  • Certificate of medical/travel  insurance valid for the duration of the trip (based on dates on tickets)
  • Valid United States passport that is valid for the entirety of the trip to Ireland ie for a full year after their ticketed date of entry.

No comments: